The Rapid Response Task Team continues to work tirelessly to guarantee that victims of gender-orientation based violations are successfully able to access the justice system. Through coordination, the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development (DOJ & CD), the Foundation for Human Rights (FHR), the South African Police Services (SAPS) the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) will work in collaboration with civil society organizations. It is the aim of the Task Team to improve methods and mechanisms that will result in swift yet thorough conclusions to cases that are brought forward. The Task Team is committed to ensuring that all victims are served and assisted. In addition, as the Task Team becomes more solidified so too will the procedures related to the processing of cases from the moment of initial reporting. Furthermore, the Task Team pledges to uphold the human rights and dignity of the victims by creating stronger links with CSOs and fostering relations for the benefit of those seeking justice. The support and advice that CSOs could provide the victims with is invaluable; added to that, the expertise that these organizations are equipped with certainly complement the efforts of the Task Team. Although challenges are certainly expected, our unwavering determination to have a significant and positive impact on the lives of the victims can be relied upon.
The following are cases that have successfully resulted in convictions:
1. Zukiswa Gaca was an eighteen year old female from Western Cape was raped. The perpetrator was sentenced to ten years in prison with a suspended four year sentence.
2. LC Molefe from Ermelo in Mpumalanga was raped. The perpetrators were sentenced to six years in prison.
3. Ntabiseng Welemina Mofokeng from Balfour in Mpumalanga was raped by her neighbor. The perpetrator was sentenced to fifteen years in prison.
4. Nqobile Khumalo from Kwa Mashu in KwaZulu-Natal was murdered. The perpetrator was sentenced to fifteen years in prison.
5. Duduzile Zozo from Thokoza in Gauteng was murdered and her body was found in her neighbor’s house. The perpetrator was sentenced to thirty years in prison.
6. Manolis Veloudes was murdered in Parkview, Gauteng. A perpetrator was sentenced to three years in prison for being in possession of the victim’s property.
8. Disebo Gift Makau: from Tshing in Ventersdorp was murdered and raped. The perpetrator was sentenced into 2 life sentences and 15 years in pison for theft.
9. Thembelihle Sokhela from Sgodi in Daveyton was raped and murdered. The perpetrator was sentenced 22 years in prison